ARCAmazon believes in the importance of building effective ties with local people in order to build stronger community networks in the Las Piedras area. The focal communities in this case are Lucerna and Palma Real, due to their status as geographical neighbors of the Las Piedras Amazon Center. The majority of people in these communities are recent immigrants from the Ayacucho region of Peru. There are over 10 families and around 10 children living in the communities. ARCAmazon is seeking volunteers to work with community members to improve education and overall living standards.
Amazon Academy‘s Community Outreach Volunteer Program provides participants with the experience of working alongside members of two rainforest-based communities in the remote region of Las Piedras. Volunteers will assist in the development and teaching of lessons at the local school based on the requirements of the community teacher; usually English, tourism (cooking and working for foreign visitors), geography, science, computer science and culture. There may also be a need for help with physical activities such as construction, farming, finance/administration or preparing for community events. There is always a large social and sporting element to the community-based programs–expect to improve your football (soccer) and volleyball skills.
Typical activities include:
- Participating in the outreach education programs
- Participating in the activities of the local communities
- Collecting data on community crop preferences and market values
- Administering surveys which collect member motivations for slash and burn agriculture
- Identifying the needs of the local communities and opportunities for sustainable development
- Spending time playing football, teaching children, dancing and taking part in the life of the local communities
- Designing fundraising approaches to help raise money for installation of clean water and sewage systems
- Installation of compost toilets
- Maintenance of the Las Piedras Amazon Center’s demonstration agro-forestry plots in the community