ARCAmazon works closely with an animal rescue and rehabilitation center to support the care and release of captured and injured wild animals. Many of the animals at the shelter are rescued from the illegal trafficking/pet trade and sometimes the ecological police bring them from abusive homes. Some of the animals are brought in by local people because they sick or dying, often due to hunting. Species at the center include red howler monkey, red brocket deer, coati, night monkey, macaws and parrots, toucans, yellow-footed tortoise, brown capuchin and peccary.
This position provides an opportunity to volunteer with animals at a wildlife rescue and rehabilitation center in the Peruvian Amazon. Participants will help assist in the physical and psychological well-being of a number of fascinating Neotropical animals which are being rehabilitated at the shelter. Volunteers typically undertakes a list of tasks each day, from feeding animals and maintaining their enclosures, to behavioral studies and interpretation for visiting guests. The position offers those following a veterinary career or course who would like experience in tropical veterinary medicine the chance to practice at the center.
Program activities include:
- Helping prepare food for sheltered animals
- Taking part in feeding rounds in the mornings and evenings
- Assisting with the construction and repair of animal enclosures
- Assisting with the cleaning and furnishing of animal enclosures
- Helping ensure the animals are kept fit and healthy
- Assisting with carrying of goods when the team goes into town for supplies with the Jeep
- Guiding and teaching local and international visitors to the center
- Helping with clinical veterinary operations if necessary
- Designing and developing educational materials and programs for local school children
- Enjoying a number of rainforest experiences on days off including; visiting a parrot clay-lick, canoeing on the river, local nightlife in town, climbing a rainforest viewing tower, day trips into the Tambopata National Reserve, etc.